About our inspections
Her Majesty’s Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate (HMCPSI) provides competent and professional inspection and evaluation, together with advice and guidance.
Below are examples of the inspection work HMCPSI carries out:
- CPS Area inspections – Inspecting specific geographic areas of the CPS
- Thematic inspections – These inspections examine themes right across the CPS nationally. They can be focused on casework, business or functionality, or be a mix of all three
- Joint work – Thematic inspections undertaken with other criminal justice inspectorates (i.e. HM Inspectorate of Constabulary, HM Inspectorate of Probation and HM Inspectorate of Prisons) and public sector organisations such as Ofsted, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the National Audit Office (NAO)
- Area Casework Examination Programme (ACEP) – A file examination programme which looks at files across the CPS, and analyses the findings and outcome data for CPS Areas and units and for the CPS nationally. The overall outcome data is analysed to provide an overview of CPS performance and to inform future inspections
- Close monitoring of organisations – Ongoing monitoring of a CPS Area or theme, following an inspection, usually prior to a formal follow-up inspection being undertaken
Examples of these inspections can be found in Our reports.