Information on how to complain about HM Inspectorate of Prisons, or a member of its staff, if you are dissatisfied with how we have conducted ourselves.
Please note that we do not deal with complaints from, or on behalf of, individual prisoners. These should be raised with the relevant prison Governor or Director, or with the Prison and Probation Ombudsman.
We are also completely independent of the following organisations:
- National Offender Management Service
- HM Prison Service private sector custodial providers
- UK Border Agency
Complaints against these bodies should be addressed via their complaints systems.
All complaints against HM Inspectorate of Prisons will be dealt with according to the following principles:
- all complaints will be treated seriously
- all complaints will be treated in a fair, consistent and even-handed manner
- any investigations will be conducted appropriately and thoroughly, by someone who is not the party complained about
- we will respond speedily, courteously and in writing to all complaints
- we will make clear if there are any remaining avenues for further complaint
If you have a complaint, you should set it out in writing, within a reasonable time of the matter complained about, and either email it or post it to:
HM Inspectorate of Prisons
We aim to respond to you acknowledging receipt of your complaint within five working days.
This reply will specify, if necessary, how long it will be before a more substantive reply will be provided. If you remain dissatisfied with our response, we will make clear the avenues for further complaint.