Policing inspection programme and framework commencing April 2022
This document is HMICFRS’s inspection programme and framework for policing commencing April 2022, which we envisage will run for the next three years.
It details the inspections that we propose to carry out and explains our inspection plans from April 2022.
The types of inspections we carry out are:
- PEEL assessments
- National thematic inspections
- Commissions from the Home Secretary and local policing bodies
- Inspection of national agencies and other non-Home Office forces
- Joint inspections
- State of Policing report
Last year marked the publication of our organisational strategy for 2021–2025.
This sets out four objectives, which are:
- A greater focus on public value – inspecting those areas where we can make the greatest difference and applying the inspection methods best suited to the problem.
- Adopting a smarter system approach – working with others nationally and locally to define problems that are best tackled by a co-ordinated system-wide approach.
- Capitalising on our insight and learning – communicating insight and good working methods from our inspections more broadly and quickly to those who need it, using the latest technology. We will use the learning from our national thematic inspections to improve local inspections.
- Implementing a more proactive response to major changes – identifying major common problems to inform inspection priorities, while adopting a more systematic approach to choosing between options for thematic inspections.