Policing inspection programme and framework 2021/22
This document is HMICFRS’s inspection programme and framework for policing for 2021/22.
The types of inspections we carry out are:
- PEEL assessments
- National thematic inspections
- Commissions from the Home Secretary and local policing bodies
- Inspection of national agencies and other non-Home Office forces
- Joint inspections
- State of Policing report
We have amended our organisational strategy. This inspection programme and framework complies with our statutory obligations and is designed to facilitate the achievement of our four strategic objectives. We will:
- focus on those areas that make the most significant difference to the public and those areas that have the greatest influence on improving public safety;
- adopt a collaborative and more targeted ‘smarter systems’ approach to the work of the inspectorate and our work across the inspected sectors and the wider criminal justice system;
- capitalise on our independent insight and learning, maximising the benefits of our unique insights across the whole of our inspected sectors; and
- be more proactive in responding to major changes, using our insight to identify intractable problems and try to find evidence as to how they could be resolved.