Policing inspection programme and framework 2020/21
This document provides details of HMICFRS’s inspection programme and framework for policing for 2020/21.
The original consultation on our plans for policing inspection activity in 2020/21 was published on 6 March 2020 – just before lockdown restrictions were imposed as a result of COVID-19. One week later, we suspended appreciable inspection activity, and offered to return seconded officers and staff to their home forces, to better allow policing to focus on its response to the pandemic.
We revised our original plans for inspection in 2020/21 to ensure that they:
- reflected these unprecedented circumstances; and
- promoted improvements in keeping people safe and reducing crime and disorder, without imposing unnecessary demands on forces.
Our plans were kept under review throughout 2020/21 to ensure they remained right and relevant.
Types of inspection in 2020/21
- PEEL assessments;
- national thematic inspections;
- commissions from the Home Secretary and local policing bodies;
- inspections of national agencies and non-Home Office forces; and
- joint inspections.
Get the documents
Large font format
This format has larger text and a simpler layout than the standard format.