PEEL: police effectiveness 2016
As part of our annual inspections of police effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy (PEEL), HMIC assessed how effective police forces are at keeping people safe and reducing crime. This inspection focused on five areas of policing:
- How effective are police forces at preventing crime, tackling anti-social behaviour and keeping people safe?
- How effective are forces at investigating crime and reducing re-offending?
- How effective are forces at protecting those who are vulnerable from harm, and supporting victims?
- How effective are forces at tackling serious and organised crime?
- How effective are the forces’ specialist capabilities?
This report presents a national overview of themes identified in inspections of all 43 police forces in England and Wales. The national overview report is accompanied by separate reports on each force, based on inspections carried out from September to December 2016, and data provided by forces.
Get the national overview report
Please note: the caption for figure 14 was corrected on 26 April 2017 and figures 27 and 28 were amended on 13 June 2017.