Custody services in a COVID-19 environment
In March 2020, we suspended all inspection work so that police forces, and fire and rescue services could focus on responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our inspection took a snapshot of policing during the pandemic and looked at what happened from March to November 2020.
Our inspection assessed how policing:
- understood and prepared for the potential and actual impact of the pandemic;
- responded initially, and continues to respond, to the pandemic; and
- is evaluating its response to the pandemic, establishing what is and is not working and using this to shape how the police service operates.
Our report Policing in the pandemic: The police response to the COVID-19 pandemic was published in April 2021.
This report supplements the wider inspection with more detailed findings on how custody services operated in a COVID-19 environment. It aims to:
- increase the police service’s national and local understanding of how custody services operate in a COVID-19 environment;
- show how services have been/are affected and how police forces are responding; and
- establish what improvements forces and the wider Criminal Justice System can make.
This report sets out our findings.
Get the reportCustody services in a COVID-19 environment (HTML) Custody services in a COVID-19 environment (PDF document, 345kB)
Get the press release