What data we collect
The personal data we collect from you includes:
- questions, queries or feedback you leave, including your email address if you contact HMICFRS;
- your email address and subscription preferences when you sign up to our email alerts; and
- information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques.
When you visit our website, we also use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use HMICFRS’s website. We do this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements.
Google Analytics stores information about:
- the pages you visit on HMICFRS;
- how long you spend on each HMICFRS page;
- how you got to the site;
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site; and
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address, and details of which version of web browser you used.
The information we collect on Google Analytics cannot be used to identify who you are.
Why we collect it
HMICFRS collects and processes your data in order to allow it to carry out its statutory and other functions.
We also collect data in order to:
- improve the website by monitoring how you use it;
- gather feedback to improve our services respond to any feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to;
- send email alerts to users who request them; and
- provide you with information about police and fire and rescue services if you want it.
If we use your data for any other purpose, we will always ensure that you understand exactly how and why your data is being used, and for how long.
What we do with your data
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data is as safe as possible at any stage, both while it’s processed and when it’s stored.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties; or
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes.
We will share your data if we are required to do so by law – for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this document; or
- the law requires us to.
You have the right to request access to the personal information HMICFRS holds about you.
In certain circumstances, you also have the right to:
- request a copy of your personal information; and
- object to and restrict the use of your personal information, or to ask to have your data deleted, or corrected.
If you have any of these requests, get in contact with our Data Protection Officer by emailing James Alexander or by calling him on 020 7035 6999.
Links to other websites
HMICFRS website contains links to other websites.
Following a link to another website
Changes to this policy
If these changes affect how your personal data is processed, HMICFRS will take reasonable steps to let you know.
Contact us or make a complaint
Contact the HMICFRS if you:
- have any questions about anything on this page; or
- think that your personal data has been misused or mishandled.
Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services
89 Eccleston Square
You can also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner, who is an independent regulator.
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Textphone: 01625 545860
Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm
Find out about call charges
Information Commissioner’s Office
Last updated: 25 May 2018