Dyfed-Powys PEEL 2018
How efficiently does the force operate and how sustainable are its services to the public?
Dyfed-Powys Police requires improvement in how it meets demand and uses resources.
The force needs to have a better understanding of demand and what affects it, so that it can use its resources efficiently.
The force has achieved good savings in the past and can show the improvements from some of its investments. But it needs to review the efficiency of all its investments.
Dyfed-Powys Police needs to improve how it plans for the future.
The force is improving its understanding of what the public expects, which will help it plan for future demand.
It needs to improve its plans for future workforce needs. Replacing officers who have left with another of the same rank, without considering changing skills requirements, means its workforce may lack important skills for the future.
Dyfed-Powys Police needs to improve its financial planning. It will have to make savings when its financial reserves are at their lowest. The force needs to test the risks of its plans.
How well does the force use its resources to meet the demand it faces?
Areas for improvement
- The force should undertake further work to better understand the current demand for its services, including hidden demand, so it can make best use of its resources to meet the needs of the public.
- The force should review its investments, such as those into its buildings and infrastructure, to assess their impact.
- The force should improve its understanding of the capability and capacity of its workforce, in particular in relation to specialist areas.
Dyfed-Powys Police requires improvement at meeting current demands and using resources.
It has examined demand for some types of police service, but not others. This means it has an incomplete picture of the demand for its services and may not be using its resources efficiently.
The force works well with others to meet some demand and provide a better service. This improves efficiency.
Investments have led to improvements, which the force can show in some cases, but not in others. It should review the efficiency of all its investments.
Dyfed-Powys Police is improving its understanding of demand so it can work out what demand it needs to meet first. This means that it directs its resources efficiently. It varies service levels in some areas. The force uses an incident crime allocation team to conduct investigations over the phone, when appropriate. This has improved public satisfaction with the service.
The force is still working out what skills and capabilities it needs, so it cannot assess its skills gap yet.
It has achieved good savings without much effect on service levels. The force has invested these savings in other areas such as IT and technology. But it doesn’t always examine the benefits of these schemes. This could mean it is using inefficient technologies.Detailed findings for question 1
How well does the force plan for the future?
Areas for improvement
- The force should do more work to make sure its assumptions in relation to future demand are based on sound evidence and analysis, so it can allocate resources effectively.
- The force should analyse the benefits of its programmes of work to make sure that it can clearly map their impact. This will allow it to recognise success and identify capacity that will improve its ability to invest in other areas of business.
- The force should develop individual career pathways linked to its succession planning.
Dyfed-Powys Police requires improvement in how well it plans.
The force should improve how it works out what demands it will have to meet in future. This will help it to put resources in the right place.
The force is improving its understanding of what the public expects. It is also working with other organisations. This will improve its ability to plan for the future.
Dyfed-Powys Police needs to improve how it prioritises its use of resources. Community engagement is a force priority, but it is still working out how it will do this. The force could make faster progress with this priority.
The force needs to improve its plans for future workforce needs. It should examine the effect of its various programmes. This would help it to recognise success and see how it can improve.
It needs to improve its financial planning. The force needs to ensure its plans are robust even if the assumptions it has made prove incorrect. This would allow it to reduce the effect of a worst-case scenario.
Dyfed-Powys Police plans to improve in future but needs to be more ambitious. It should make sure it has the skills and resources to meet possible future needs.Detailed findings for question 2