Royal Gibraltar Police
HMICFRS conducts statutory inspections of police forces and other law enforcement agencies in England and Wales. We also inspect law enforcement arrangements in British Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies on invitation from the relevant Government.
The Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP) is the oldest Commonwealth police force outside the UK.
We inspect the RGP at the invitation of the Gibraltar Police Authority.
In 2021, the commissioner of the Royal Gibraltar Police and the Gibraltar Police Authority invited us to evaluate the force’s progress in addressing:
- the outstanding areas for improvement (AFI) from the 2016 report; and
- the recommendations and AFIs from the 2020 report.
In early 2019, we were invited to inspect the Royal Gibraltar Police by the Gibraltar Police Authority. This inspection took place in October 2019.
The first part of this report is about the progress the Royal Gibraltar Police has made since our 2016 inspection, and the second part of the report is a new inspection of the force’s legitimacy, including its ethical behaviour.
HMIC was invited by the Gibraltar Police Authority to inspect the Royal Gibraltar Police. Our terms of reference were to conduct:
- a review of leadership and associated human resources working practices including the complaints procedure, provision for the well-being of staff and an ethical culture;
- a review of crime prevention and investigation performance, an audit of crime recording, and an assessment of victim care and support; and
- an assessment of demand, of resource capacity and capability, and how resource is matched to meet demand.