Criminal justice joint inspections
Part of: Victims and resolutions
HMICFRS has a long history of engaging in joint inspection activity with:
- HM Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate;
- HM Inspectorate of Probation;
- HM Inspectorate of Prisons; and
- until its closure, HM Inspectorate of Court Administration.
The Police and Justice Act 2006 established a statutory responsibility on each of the five inspectorates to:
- co-operate with each other, and other named inspectorates
- draw up a joint inspection programme and associated framework
- consult their Secretary of State, other inspectorates and named stakeholders in the formulation of the plan
- act as ‘gatekeeper’ for all inspection of specified organisations, and
- delegate authority to inspect such organisations to each other, or other public authorities, as appropriate.