#002/2011 – HMIC review announced – NPIOU
In light of recent events, and taking into account the other reviews being undertaken about undercover operations in Nottinghamshire, H.M Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) will carry out a review of the operational accountability of undercover work conducted by the National Public Order Intelligence Unit (NPOIU), and how intelligence activity is authorised in accordance with law, including consideration of the proportionality of covert tactics. HMIC’s review will be led by Her Majesty’s Inspector of Constabulary, Mr Bernard Hogan-Howe.
Notes to Editors
- HMIC’s review will investigate the NPOIU’s governance of their undercover work, referred to in recommendations made by HMIC in 2010’s report, “Adapting to Protest”, available on our website www.hmic.gov.uk.
- A jointly commissioned piece of work from SOCA on the conduct of Mark Kennedy has been commissioned today, 18/01/2011, by the Metropolitan Police Service; the President of ACPO, Sir Hugh Orde; and the Chief Constable of Nottinghamshire, Julia Hodson.
- The Independent Police Complaints Commission announced on 14/01/2011 that they would be conducting an independent investigation of Nottinghamshire Police over disclosure of material in an environmental protest case. The IPCC is undertaking an independent investigation into the alleged failure by Nottinghamshire police to disclose relevant material to the Crown Prosecution Service in this case.
- The HMIC press office is open 8.30am – 6pm Monday – Friday and can be contacted on 020 3513 0603, or email HMICpressoffice@HMIC.gsi.gov.uk.
- The SOCA press office can be contacted on 087 0268 8100.
- The IPCC press office can be contacted on 020 7166 3239 or out of hours on 07717- 851157.
- The Metropolitan Police press office can be contacted on 020 7230 2170.
- The ACPO press office can be contacted on 020 7084 8947. Out of hours, the duty press officer is available on 0780 3903 686.
- The Nottinghamshire Police press office can be contacted from 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday on 0300 300 9999.