Have your say on how the Royal Gibraltar Police operates
Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) will be inspecting the efficiency, effectiveness and legitimacy of Gibraltar Police, and is inviting members of the public to have their say on how the force operates.
In this inspection of the Royal Gibraltar Police, HMIC will:
- carry out an assessment of demand, of resource capacity and capability, and how resource is matched to meet demand;
- review crime prevention and investigation performance, and an assessment of victim care and support; and
- carry out an audit of crime recording practices, a review of leadership and associated HR processes, including the provision for the wellbeing of staff and an ethical culture.
HM Inspector of Constabulary Stephen Otter, who is leading the inspection, said:
“The nature of policing has changed a lot since HMIC last inspected the Royal Gibraltar Police in 2010. As HMIC inspects policing in the public interest, we want to ensure you have the opportunity to be involved. For this inspection, we want to offer you the chance to have your say on how they feel the police operate in Gibraltar.
“We will be inspecting how the Royal Gibraltar Police manages demand on its resources, and how it prevents and investigates crime. We will also be looking at how it records crime, and whether it acts in an ethical and fair manner. If you have any experiences that you would like to share on these subjects, please do get in touch.
“Our inspection fieldwork will begin shortly, and we are very much looking forward to hearing your experiences of policing on the Rock.”
Members of the public can share their experiences of policing in Gibraltar by emailing HMIC.
- HMIC is an independent inspectorate, inspecting policing in the public interest, and rigorously examines the efficiency and effectiveness of police forces to tackle crime and terrorism, improve criminal justice and raise confidence. HMIC inspects all 43 police forces in England and Wales, together with other major policing bodies.
- Stephen Otter is Her Majesty’s Inspector for the National and London Region.
- Unlike police forces in England and Wales, the Royal Gibraltar Police is not subject to statutory inspection by HMIC. It can, however, be inspected at the request of the Gibraltar Police Authority.
- For further information, HMIC’s press office can be contacted during office hours from 8:30am – 5:00pm (GMT) Monday – Friday on 020 3513 0600.
- HMIC’s out-of-hours press office line for urgent media enquiries is 07836 217 729.