When we provide services, we want to make them easy, useful and reliable. Where services are delivered on the internet, this sometimes invloves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example, your computer or mobile phone. These include small files are known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally.
These pieces of information are used to improve services for you through, for example:
- enabling a service to recognise your device so you don’t have to give the same information several times during one task
- recognising that you may already have given a username and password so you don’t need to do it for every web page requested
- measuring how many people are using services, so they can be made easier to use and there’s enough capacity to ensure they are fast
HMICFRS uses the following cookies on this site:
- So service is available when you want it and fast, we measure numbers and volumes of visitors using __utma.
- To understand what visitors want to view and not to view, so we can improve the service you receive and archive what is not required, we use __utmb, __utmc, and __utmz.
- To allow us to identify when you have opted to view the site in high-contrast mode, and therefore deliver the site in this mode automatically (whenever you load a new page or return to the website) we use high-contrast. This cookie will last for 90 days, or until you disable high-contrast mode.
How do I change my cookie settings?
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set, visit www.aboutcookies.org; or; www.allaboutcookies.org.
Find out how to manage cookies on popular browsers:
To find information relating to other browsers, visit the browser developer’s website.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.