For general enquiries:
- telephone on 020 3513 0500;
- email the Contact HMICFRS inbox; or
- fax on 020 3513 0650.
Please note: these channels are only staffed during office hours, Monday to Friday.
HMICFRS is not a police force and therefore does not investigate crime. In the case of an emergency, please dial 999. To report crimes and concerns that do not require an emergency response please call 101.
Complaints and misconduct
Complaints about the police
HMICFRS does not investigate individual complaints or incidents, these will be looked into by your local police force or the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
To read more about how complaints about the police are dealt with, please visit Our role in handling complaints and misconduct.
Complaints about HMICFRS staff
HMICFRS staff aim to carry out their work to the highest professional standard, in line with our purpose, values and objectives. This includes handling complaints carefully in an open and courteous way by investigating the matters raised thoroughly and replying as quickly as possible.
To submit a complaint:
- Complaints should be set out in writing to the Chief Operating Officer within ten working days of the incident, with any supporting evidence attached.
- HMICFRS will acknowledge receipt of the complaint within ten working days.
- A senior member of HMICFRS staff who has no direct connection with the matter will consider the complaint and investigate if appropriate.
- The Chief Operating Officer will usually provide a written response to the complainant within 30 working days.
- Where the matter is too complex to be dealt with within this timescale, or it requires further investigation, the complainant will be informed and given a date by which they will receive a full response.
- The final decision concerning the complaint rests with the Chief Operating Officer and there is no formal appeal process against this decision. It is of course open for complainants who are unhappy with the result of their complaint to raise the matter with Ministers or local Members of Parliament.
Please address all correspondence to:
Chief Operating Officer
89 Eccleston Square
Alternatively, you can email HMICFRS with your complaint.
The HMICFRS Twitter Policy lays out guidance on how HMICFRS uses Twitter.
The HMICFRS Press Office is open from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. If you have a media enquiry, please:
- telephone on 020 3513 0600; or
- send an email to the HMICFRS Press Office email inbox
Out of hours media enquiries
If you are a member of the press and media with an urgent query outside of normal Press Office working hours, please call: 07836 217 729.
Please note: this number cannot receive text messages.