HM Inspector of Constabulary and HM Inspector of Fire & Rescue Services
Wendy Williams joined the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in 2003 as the Legal Director of the CPS London North Region. She was responsible for prosecutions in the 17 boroughs which made up the region, and approximately 500 staff and 50 managers.
In February 2009, Wendy was appointed Chief Crown Prosecutor (CPP) for CPS Northumbria, and Group Chair of the North East Region before becoming CCP for CPS North East following the national restructure.
At CPS North East, Wendy was responsible for prosecutions from the police force areas of Durham, Cleveland and Northumbria. She was a member of the Northumbria Local Criminal Justice Board and saw through a significant change programme, which resulted in efficiencies and improvements to the Area’s operating practices.
In October 2014, Wendy was appointed as the Chief Crown Prosecutor of CPS Direct, a national directorate within the CPS.
Between 2000-2003 Wendy worked as a legal inspector with HMCPS Inspectorate, where she was responsible for conducting Area, joint and thematic inspections of CPS (and CJS) Areas throughout England and Wales.
Before joining HMCPS Inspectorate, Wendy was a partner in a firm in South London, where she practised for many years in the fields of criminal and child care law and was a qualified Duty Solicitor and Member of the Law Society’s Children Panel.
Wendy Williams was appointed as HM Inspector of Constabulary in March 2015 and HM Inspector of Fire & Rescue Services in July 2017 when our remit was extended to include those services.
Wendy is responsible for the Criminal Justice Joint Inspection national function.
She is also currently the senior responsible owner for the following projects:
- National Child protection inspection programme
- Chair of the national Rape Monitoring Group
Regional role for police forces
Wendy Williams is Her Majesty’s Inspector for the Wales and Western Region and deals with the following forces:
- Avon and Somerset Constabulary
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Dorset Police
- Dyfed-Powys Police
- Gloucestershire Constabulary
- Gwent Police
- North Wales Police
- South Wales Police
- Staffordshire Police
- Warwickshire Police
- West Mercia Police
- West Midlands Police
- Wiltshire Police.
Regional role for fire & rescue services
Wendy Williams is Her Majesty’s Inspector of the Fire & Rescue Services for the Western Region and deals with the following fire & rescue services:
- Avon Fire and Rescue Service
- Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service
- Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
- Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service
- Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service
- Isles of Scilly Fire and Rescue Service
- Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service
- West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service