HM Inspector of Constabulary and HM Inspector of Fire & Rescue Services
Wendy Williams, a solicitor, was a partner in a defence firm before joining Her Majesty’s Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate (HMCPSI). In 2003 she joined the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) as the Legal Director of the CPS London North Region before becoming the Chief Crown Prosecutor (CCP) for CPS Northumbria and the North East region in 2009.
In March 2015 Wendy took up the position of Her Majesty’s Inspector at HMIC (now HMICFRS) and has responsibility for 13 forces covering the Midlands, Wales and South West areas. In July 2017 her role was extended to include the inspection of fire and rescue services across 11 areas in the Western region. She also has responsibility for the monitoring process for forces within HMICFRS.
Wendy is the Senior Responsible Officer for HMICFRS’s Criminal Justice and Joint Inspection portfolio, which involves working with other criminal justice inspectorates such as HM Inspectorate of Probation, HMCPSI, HM Inspectorate of Prisons, Ofsted, the Care Quality Commission and the equivalent Welsh inspectorates across a range of criminal justice issues. Wendy is committed to improving the criminal justice response to vulnerable people and has published a number of reports highlighting areas of concern such as: rape child protection, the police response to honour-based violence, missing children harassment and stalking in, modern slavery and human trafficking and a joint inspection of the disclosure of unused material.
She is passionately committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in policing.
Wendy is responsible for the Criminal Justice Joint Inspection national function.
She is also currently the senior responsible owner for the following projects:
- National Child protection inspection programme
- Chair of the national Rape Monitoring Group
In 2018, Wendy was appointed by the Home Office to lead the Windrush lessons learned review, alongside her HMICFRS responsibilities.
Regional role for police forces
Wendy Williams is Her Majesty’s Inspector for the Wales and Western Region and deals with the following forces:
- Avon and Somerset Constabulary
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Dorset Police
- Dyfed-Powys Police
- Gloucestershire Constabulary
- Gwent Police
- North Wales Police
- South Wales Police
- Staffordshire Police
- Warwickshire Police
- West Mercia Police
- West Midlands Police
- Wiltshire Police.
Regional role for fire & rescue services
Wendy Williams is Her Majesty’s Inspector of the Fire & Rescue Services for the Western Region and deals with the following fire & rescue services:
- Avon Fire and Rescue Service
- Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service
- Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
- Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service
- Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service
- Isles of Scilly Fire and Rescue Service
- Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service
- West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service