Staff officer - Eastern region
A vacancy is anticipated in the HMIC Eastern region team working to Her Majesty’s Inspector of Constabulary (HMI) Zoë Billingham as her staff officer.
HMIC is seeking to recruit a police officer or police staff on secondment for 6-12 months to act as staff officer to HMI Zoë Billingham.
Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary independently assesses police forces and policing in the public interest, assessing activity ranging from neighbourhood teams to serious crime and the fight against terrorism. Further details of what we do and how we do it can be found on the About us page.
Working in HMIC puts you at the heart of inspection work. Working with us provides a great opportunity to make a real difference to the quality of policing. As a staff officer, you will be involved closely in the inspection programmes for which HMI Billingham is responsible, including police effectiveness inspections. A list of these programmes can be found on HMI Billingham’s profile.
This is an excellent opportunity for the successful applicant to broaden their policing knowledge, gaining a comprehensive insight into both national and local issues affecting and influencing policing across England and Wales.
The post will provide you with the opportunity to develop your understanding of how forces are assessed; you will gain a more comprehensive picture of policing in England and Wales and you will see how forces meet the challenges they face. HMIC is committed to balancing business needs with the welfare of its staff and has developed a deployment policy to support this. This includes minimising travel time/cost and inspection time in force where possible, and considering individual circumstances such as part-time working, health, childcare and other caring arrangements.
Get the application form
Download the application form
The deadline for completed application forms is 8am on Monday 13 February 2017. Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all staff. We will not discriminate on grounds of gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, faith, age or any other factor irrelevant to a person’s work.
Position: Staff officer to HMI Zoë Billingham
Grade: Chief inspectors on level transfer or inspectors on temporary promotion or police staff at an equivalent grade on level transfer or temporary promotion
Tenure: Secondment for 6-12 months
Vacancy Reference: HMISOZB170213
- Provide advice and guidance to the HMI on tactical policing matters;
- conduct assessment and inspection activity, as required;
- prepare reports, presenting clear, evidence-based conclusions;
- research and prepare briefs for the HMI, incorporating views of other staff;
- maintain liaison with forces, police and crime commissioners and other stakeholders; and
- support and liaise with programme directors and lead staff officers.
- Broad understanding of the strategic and operational context of policing;
- understanding of issues facing the service locally/nationally;
- knowledge of office-based computer systems/applications;
- strong communicator, verbally and in writing; and
- ability to draft high quality briefings and reports.
- A resilient, flexible attitude, able to excel in challenging, high pressured circumstances;
- solution driven team member, able to negotiate and justify decisions; and
- self motivated, result driven.
Testimonials from previous secondees
HMIC is a very rewarding place to work. We set ourselves high standards, taking great pride in the quality of the work we achieve and the opportunities we create for our staff. Others have said that HMIC secondments have given them:
- strategic insight into important policing issues at the national level;
- insight into other forces and opportunities to develop and share best practice;
- knowledge and experience of audit and inspection work;
- greater knowledge of the main current issues in policing;
- opportunity to develop a network of contacts; and
- development of strategic overview of policing (broader than individual forces).
To find out more about the experiences of previous secondees, please visit the Secondee testimonials page.
HMIC welcomes applications from all staffing groups.
We offer a guaranteed interview scheme for anyone with a disability as defined in the Equality Act 2010, subject to meeting the minimum criteria for the post.
We encourage a diverse workforce and aim to provide a working environment where all staff at all levels are valued and respected, and where discrimination, bullying, promotion of negative stereotyping and harassment are not tolerated.
We will not discriminate on grounds of gender, gender identity, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, those with caring responsibilities, part-time workers or any other factor irrelevant to a person’s work.
We are committed to providing all staff with opportunities to maximise their skills and achieve their potential.