Our purpose, values and objectives
HMIC is a rewarding place to work. We set ourselves high standards, taking great pride in the quality of the work we achieve and the opportunities we create for our staff.
HMIC’s purpose, values and objectives are central to this.
To promote improvements in policing to make everyone safer.
- Respect – we respect and value all those we work with, and the contribution that they make.
- Honesty – we are truthful at all times.
- Independence – we conduct all activity as HMIC staff on behalf of the public, independent of the police service and government.
- Integrity – we act ethically and openly in all we do.
- Fairness – we enable our people and partners to operate in an inclusive environment that is free from bias, and promotes confidence in our decisions.
- Demonstrate our values in everything we do.
- Conduct informed, independent and evidence-based inspections.
- Provide value for money.
- Work with others to promote improvements in policing.
- Report our inspection findings/ analysis in a clear and compelling way.
- Ensure that our staff have the skills, knowledge and support to do their jobs.